Author Topic: New Updated Acurite DO NOT BUY IT!  (Read 3609 times)

Offline kilogulf59

• Cannot operate a weather rock...
    • THE INTEGRATED CLOSE COMBAT FORUM
New Updated Acurite DO NOT BUY IT!
« on: September 26, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »
After much hair pulling, cussing and swearing, and general aggravation I got my 5 in 1 set up and running and connected to the internet and weather underground.

Now, a year or so later and after all is well, Acurite has new, more better, improved "stuff"...and I'm back to square one all over again.

Anyone else have trouble with them? Everything they do seems overly complex. Download this, do that, wait two-hours for this, oh wait, first do this, change your password first, come on...I could never recommend them to anyone and I'm about a hare's breath away from using their equipment for target practice.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: New Updated Acurite DO NOT BUY IT!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »
I don't know why they want us on their servers... That is what is too complicated. If they had a simple software to run to read their products, and forward the data, it would be so much less complicated.

Offline kilogulf59

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
You should see what's being said on their help forum...people are talking class action law suit.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »
You should see what's being said on their help forum...people are talking class action law suit.

Never going to happen.  There are a few people there who are just trying to stir things up.

The bottom line is that Acurite is fixing everybody up as necessary.   It might take a while, but they'll get to it.

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »
I sent my hub back.  They fixed it no charge and it has been working fine since.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about.  I'm approaching year 2 with my same 5 in 1, updated as required, and everything is running great.  You have thousands of units that worked flawlessly through the upgrade process compared to some who have had problems.  And those who have had problems, Acurite is trying their best to take care of everyone. 

Over on the forums, you do have a few that are stirring up problems just to do so.  They stand out like a sore thumb.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline kilogulf59

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 08:02:26 AM »
Now the My AcuRite page isn't working...OMG, who's running their IT dept?

"Error

Something went wrong. This is an unknown error response.

You can go Back, or use the navigation above to help find what you are looking for."

I cannot believe anyone would defend this outfit...simply unreal. I also cannot believe they're still in business.

I am done...never again...
Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
They had a glitch this morning, but everything is working fine now.  Remember, just because you're having issues does not mean everyone is.  Those who are experiencing excellent results greatly outweigh those who are not. 

Offline kilogulf59

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
Oh, man, you must either own the joint or got a free unit...

Talk about spin control.
Take Care and Stay Safe,

Ken aka kilogulf59

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 10:20:13 AM »
As with any technology......YMMV ! These posts could be in the WU area or the Davis area or Bloomsky or any other areas. Some have trouble some don't. I have a friend that is now on a Mac because his pc's were "junk" and Windows XP/7 kept crashing on him, etc. (He is a Joe Btfsplk - (Dogpatch)).  I have 3 Dells (including the weather computer) that just sit and run quietly. My Davis VPro 2 at home and the university run and run and never have a problem. Ya never know. I hope they step forward, acknowledge the problems and fix them for everyone.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »
Oh, man, you must either own the joint or got a free unit...

Talk about spin control.

Not at all...just a happy customer.  I have no reasons to complain about them, but I should anyway?  Nahhh....doesn't make sense to do so.  The 5 in 1 was my very first Acurite product.  Since then I've purchased two weather radios to give away on my forum (which both people who won actually love), and rain gauge for someone (which they say works great) and a new tower sensor for my station (which I'm currently testing out inside a radiation shield).

Every one has problems with one product or another while others don't.  It's just the way it is.  This was a HUGE upgrade by Acurite which of course, with every major upgrade, will have bugs.  However, you're acting like they're not doing anything.  They're bogged down with complaints, but they are fixing them one by one. 

Compare the myAcurite page with that of a web user interface of even Davis stations....myAcurite wins hands down, and I applaud them for providing us with such equipment at a low cost.

Offline avalanch

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »
I agree with SkySummit, I have had my 5 in 1/Bridge since May 2013 and have literally 0 problems with it. I take it down once a year and clean it and replace the batteries and it has been very reliable.. :)

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 06:21:12 PM »
Great post skysummit ! I agree. I have not really had any serious problems. I did like others have high temperature spikes issues with the 5in1, but had a lot of fun building add-on solar panel solutions. So no big deal. As far as the migration, it went really well, and took a couple hours, and I had no issues whatsoever. Still very happy with Acurite equipment, and fascinated by all the third art software solutions out there. I do have to admit a lot of my contentment is due to Kevin's software though. Good stuff!

Jack 
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 07:57:04 PM »
Funny thread  :roll: My 5n1 has been flawless updated went great I have no issues with Acurite.

People make there own problems most the time.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
Bet your 5 in one  won't make it thru an Alaskan winter like the one unit I had before they came out with new stuff. Six month and it was trash. When asked to have it repaired or replace they said they didn't support my model anymore. They like your money but don't care to support their products.

Offline Jons WX

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 09:05:11 AM »
So blablabla...
Can anyone just tell me where there are clear instructions as to how to successfully update this thing?

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:57 AM »
Great post skysummit ! I agree. I have not really had any serious problems. I did like others have high temperature spikes issues with the 5in1, but had a lot of fun building add-on solar panel solutions. So no big deal. As far as the migration, it went really well, and took a couple hours, and I had no issues whatsoever. Still very happy with Acurite equipment, and fascinated by all the third art software solutions out there. I do have to admit a lot of my contentment is due to Kevin's software though. Good stuff!

Jack

Do you happen to have any detailed instructions on how you did this?  Sounds like a cool project if I get some time.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 09:56:47 AM »
So blablabla...
Can anyone just tell me where there are clear instructions as to how to successfully update this thing?

All I did was had the bridge plugged directly into my router, clicked on the link provided in the email and followed the directions. Roughly 20 minutes later, my weather data was showing up on the page.  It went to it automatically. 

I use Kevin's program so once my Hub was updated, I downloaded Kevin's updated program for the bridge, plugged everything in (HUB to laptop, laptop to router, and bridged the connection on the laptop), verified my settings on Kevin's program, and walla. 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58:49 AM »
As with any technology......YMMV ! These posts could be in the WU area or the Davis area or Bloomsky or any other areas. Some have trouble some don't. I have a friend that is now on a Mac because his pc's were "junk" and Windows XP/7 kept crashing on him, etc. (He is a Joe Btfsplk - (Dogpatch)).  I have 3 Dells (including the weather computer) that just sit and run quietly. My Davis VPro 2 at home and the university run and run and never have a problem. Ya never know. I hope they step forward, acknowledge the problems and fix them for everyone.

Interesting thread. I like to play with weather toys (currently have Davis VP2s) and based on the discussion in this thread, what is a good Acurite unit to own and where is a good source to buy one?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
So blablabla...

All I did was had the bridge plugged directly into my router, clicked on the link provided in the email and followed the directions. Roughly 20 minutes later, my weather data was showing up on the page.  It went to it automatically. 

I use Kevin's program so once my Hub was updated, I downloaded Kevin's updated program for the bridge, plugged everything in (HUB to laptop, laptop to router, and bridged the connection on the laptop), verified my settings on Kevin's program, and walla.

On the contrast, while SkySummit took only 20 minutes, mine took hours (basically all night).  I started it at 7:45pm and did not have access to the new weather data site until 5am the next morning when I woke up.  I think it depends on the load on their servers etc.  All in all it was successful though.  Patience is key.

Offline Jons WX

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »
I get this endlessly:
https://s19.postimg.org/68nmctqr7/Acu_Update.jpg
Now what?  :roll:

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »
I get this endlessly:
https://s19.postimg.org/68nmctqr7/Acu_Update.jpg
Now what?  :roll:

How long has been "endlessly"?  I read one report that it took over 24 hours for his update, but he said the key was patience...just leave it alone.

I couldn't do that  though because I don't have patience.

Offline griffindm

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »
I am another user with a brick for what was a working bridge. Communication on the update issues has been poor. They did replace my 5-in-1 slightly out of warranty last year for a temperature sensor failure. I will watch and see how they handle this issue.

Offline Jons WX

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

How long has been "endlessly"?  I read one report that it took over 24 hours for his update, but he said the key was patience...just leave it alone.

I'm running out of what little I had, and I'm not the most patient guy in the world to begin with.

Endlessly in this case is 4.5 - 5 hours today. I set my laptop power options this morning to never turn off or dim the screen and I upped the sleep & hivernate onset delays to 5 hours (the highest available except for 'never' and I'm not doing that), so I shall be patient until I go to bed tonight. I'm not leaving it on all night.

Thanks.

EDIT: I wrote this at ~1 pm, started the said wait at 8:30-8:45 am.
It's 5 pm now & still nothing!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:07:45 PM by Jons WX »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 02:18:54 PM »

I'm running out of what little I had, and I'm not the most patient guy in the world to begin with.

Endlessly in this case is 4.5 - 5 hours today. I set my laptop power options this morning to never turn off or dim the screen and I upped the sleep & hivernate onset delays to 5 hours (the highest available except for 'never' and I'm not doing that), so I shall be patient until I go to bed tonight. I'm not leaving it on all night.

Thanks.

You don't have to worry about the PC.  It's not part of the upgrade process.

anything