Author Topic: SuperCap failure - Update  (Read 1086 times)

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
SuperCap failure - Update
« on: November 16, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »
After it flatline a few weeks ago I replaced the battery again. Then I noticed that it flatlined a couple of days ago. Now tonight I notice once it started to drop from 100% I had a low battery warning ticker tape, never noticed it before but it wasn't there earlier today.
Now down to 90% but it should still be sending data, but it isn't. It has already flatlined.
Is this the supercap or the whole board failing?
Will buy a couple of new batteries to try and keep it going until I either replace the supercap or the board.
Just feel it might be easier to change the board, despite the cost. Any thoughts please.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:19:09 PM by youngros »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: SuperCap failure
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
VP2 or Vue?

If Vue then I've been told super cap is epoxyed and is not really removable.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see now from your website it is a VP2. You are good whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:34:08 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:12:50 AM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 05:27:09 AM »
Sorry, forgot to add in it was a VP2.
Being a Sunday not found anywhere open who has the batteries. Fortunately it is sunny so is back working.
Thanks for the link to how to replace the supercap. Is it possible to just remove the board without removing the whole assembly?
What difference does it make putting the console in setup mode? I have never done it before, just unplugged the links to replace the temp/humidity sensor as the wind and rain would still have been working.
Going to try soldering first as having new supercaps sent out will come normal post from the UK. Anything bigger ends up stuck in Lisbon and then put on a boat. (Royal Mail and GLS nightmare). Also will get caught up in Christmas post.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 05:59:11 AM »
What difference does it make putting the console in setup mode? I have never done it before, just unplugged the links to replace the temp/humidity sensor as the wind and rain would still have been working.

It prevents erroneous data being sent to the console as you do maintenance. An alternative is to change the SIM ID.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
With care, one could probably solder the supercap without removing the board at all.  Just remove the battery and the white cover and clip the leads.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 01:14:27 PM »
With care, one could probably solder the supercap without removing the board at all.  Just remove the battery and the white cover and clip the leads.

Slight lack of electricity down by the weather station! It's a balancing act to put a new battery in, although I could rotate it all, which is what I might have to do rather than get a set of step ladders down there.

In the pictures it shows the white cover being removed before removing the board, is it possible to remove the board with that in place so as to avoid losing the screws?

Offline youngros

• Contributor
    • Sans Souci Weather
Re: SuperCap failure - Update
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
Today was the day to remove the ISS and replace the super cap. Definitely died from the corrosion around the terminal.
New one soldered in place and all reinstalled. Only time will tell if the soldering was up to scratch.
It was easier to take apart than I thought it would be.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
Today was the day to remove the ISS and replace the super cap. Definitely died from the corrosion around the terminal.
New one soldered in place and all reinstalled. Only time will tell if the soldering was up to scratch.

I think you will be happy that you fixed it.   I don't know if anyone has figured out why they go bad.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »

I think you will be happy that you fixed it.   I don't know if anyone has figured out why they go bad.

I say heat. https://www.avx.com/docs/techinfo/whitepapers/AVX-Whitepaper-Reliability-of-SuperCapacitors-Paper1.pdf

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »
I don't know if anyone has figured out why they go bad.
It may well be "exercise". Mine will be 13 next year, obviously it gets abundant sunshine.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »

I say heat.
Then mine would have failed loooong ago.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 03:37:36 AM »
I don't know if anyone has figured out why they go bad.

It's officially attributed the fact that supercaps tend not to be as mechanically robust as other components. This is why particular care is needed during board assembly and subsequent use, including replacement supercaps, eg being very careful not to bend the leads anywhere near the supercap body. It's also why the supercaps are restrained in some way on the PCBA with glue or a tie to lessen the effects of vibrations, mechanical knocks etc where the leads enter the supercap body.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 11:00:00 AM »
My VP2 is now 11 years old on original CAP.  It's been through temp extremes here in ND.  Over 100's and -30F.

But I do have a CAP in my closet read to go, just in case.  I may be lucky, but I ain't stupid!
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI