Author Topic: GRLevel3 Required Internet Access  (Read 2244 times)

Offline kwelch007

• II-VI Epiworks
GRLevel3 Required Internet Access
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »
Hi all!  Thank whatever God(s) you do or do not acknowledge for helping me find you all!

I am a Network Admin for a manufacturing facility.  Since long before I started working there, they have been using GRLevel3 1.6 to get weather info.  This was prior to cutting off Internet access to our production/factory computers (for productivity reasons mostly.)  When that happened, some basic hacks (before my time) were used to allow GRLevel3 1.6 (licensed) to continue working.  Then, it stopped working a few months ago.  I could not figure out why, and further hacked to give them something (not GRLevel3 1.6.)  I am now in a position where a) they want GRLevel3 really bad all of the sudden, and b) I can't figure out how to make it work within our security requirements.

I do see now that NWS has changed the servers that GRL3 1.6 used, and I'm perfectly fine with paying for the upgrade to 2.5.  But what I am not allowed/willing to do is completely open up the computers in question to the Internet.  GRLevel3 v2.5 works great, and I see why my users want it, but I need to be able to lock the Internet access of the specified machines to only allow connectivity to the required NWS server(s)...100 server is fine, 4 Billion servers is not.  I can do the firewall blocking no problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to find the list of server(s.)

Does anyone know of a list (ideally a regularly updated list) of servers and ports that GRLevel3 2.5 requires to work with full functionality?  Given that information, I can allow and regularly adjust the allowances my firewall must have to achieve both GRLevel3 functionality and the level of security that my employer requires.  I really only need access to Illinois, US information, but a full searchable list would be fine if more than one server is required.

Many thanks for any information!!!

Kendell

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
Re: GRLevel3 Required Internet Access
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 08:33:25 PM »
Hmmm...I've very well informed of GR3 as I've been using it since before it was available to the public, however I've never seen this question or issued brought up before.  Your best bet is to ask it on the GR3 owners forum at http://www.grlevelx.com
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
My GRLevel3 data ALL comes from Allison House, naturally for a monthly fee.  This source might allow you to set your firewall to pass Allison House's known safe IP addresses.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »
I am a Network Admin for a manufacturing facility. 

I'm not sure what you're trying to do is 'legal' within the GRX license.  I know each license can only be viewed on one machine at a time.  I'm not aware of any multi-user licenses outside of special circumstances.  You probably need to talk to the Admin on the GR Site.