Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10210 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the quality of the signal for the ballgames using a streaming source.  I knew going in it wouldn't be the same as it was with DISH, but...gotta cut corners *somewhere*.  I'm good on OTA reception of the major networks...I'm not too far from them, 25-40 miles.  I do get a little multipath interference but overall it's pretty good.  BUT...ESPN seems to be getting a bigger and bigger chunk of the college football programing and that's what worries me. :evil:  If nothing else, maybe it will keep me away from the flatscreen more this fall (except when Alabama, or even maybe Auburn, is playing).  ;)

My daughter has a "portable" satellite setup that I think she subscribes to "as needed".  I'll have to check with her about that and see what the deal is.  She uses it for tailgaiting, I believe.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Don't know if you follow MLB but for first time this year they are offering 60 fps on certain devices only. You need minimum 5000 Kbps download speed.
Apple TV, Roku, PS4, and Xbox will support the new 60 FPS. Note: Will not be 60fps with popular FireTV only 30 fps.
Also they have a single team offer for $85 year or all teams $115.

I have Roku 4 so I'm going to give it a try. This will work for out of market games only. IE I follow Dbacks and live in Nebraska. My in market team is KC Royals so all games blacked out.

Speed test here for MLBTV...http://mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.jsp
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »
No, the only sport that I follow is college football.  Old friend got me hooked several years ago. :)

My Internet is the fastest that Centurylink/tel offers (us)... a blazingly fast 3Mbps screamer!!!<sigh>  HD would be the best we could do with the MLB...on a good day.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2018, 05:21:12 AM »
Totally TV free for over three years now..  (or is it four?)

And LOVING it!!

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »
I kicked the cigarette habit 11 years ago (after 35 years of smoking)...I suppose I could give TV a shot.  ...nah, I enjoy it.  :grin:

But cheers to you VW!!!!  I'm sure all of our lives could be better if we walked away from it.  Any increase in computer use after you quit watching TV?  The time you save by not watching TV...what do you do with it? 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
Amazon has dropped the price on the basic FireStick and 4K models by another 10 bucks each. Limited time sale it says so who knows for how long.

FWIW...
John
W7JKG

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2018, 11:20:18 AM »
  Any increase in computer use after you quit watching TV? 

The time you save by not watching TV...what do you do with it? 

Lots of it.  Mostly boards like this, more interactive than the boobtube.  Shopping too.

Sleep.  Mow grass (when applicable).

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »
It looks like the first Stream+'s have hit Channel Master's warehouse.  Maybe I'll get some time to tinker in the next few weeks. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
I started Vue today. Didn't get the 5 day trial because I'm a previous subscriber. Learning will be tough.
John
W7JKG

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
I started Vue today. Didn't get the 5 day trial because I'm a previous subscriber. Learning will be tough.

When I had PSVUE the firetv box had the best guide and most user friendly. Roku guide was more difficult to use. I prefer Roku a little more for most other streaming except PSVUE.

I've never tried the firetv sticks I hear 2nd generation work better than older versions.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:55 PM »
Good thing with PSVUE and most other streaming services no equipment other than what you use to watch so no contract. If you don't like it you are only out 1 month of service.
Randy

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »
When I had PSVUE the firetv box had the best guide and most user friendly. Roku guide was more difficult to use. I prefer Roku a little more for most other streaming except PSVUE.

I've never tried the firetv sticks I hear 2nd generation work better than older versions.
I like both Roku and Fire Stick because of their push buttons. SO much easier than the Apple touch remote.

Could not find the PS app on my Fire Stick. PS site says it's supported.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2018, 10:11:50 PM »
You can do it!!!  Keep us posted!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
Ok, for the second time I'm cracking open this old, stale thread.  The big red "120 days" warning is shining above this box, but, what the heck?<grin>

We dished DISH last February and haven't regretted it a bit.  Pretty much have watched what we've wanted using the Tivo for OTA along with some streaming stuff.  But, now the rubber is about to hit the road......COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!!!   

As for OTA reception we are good to go so network games won't be an issue.  BUT, ESPN is the wildcard.  I need to at least try streaming with our 3Mbps Centurystink connection.  Our Panasonic Pro Panel is a 720p plasma so I won't need a 1080 hd signal, which I think will help some.  But I'm trying to decide on a streaming provider.  Even to just go with a "trial" from one of the providers you have to enter your personal and financial information, so I'd rather first try the one I feel most likely to stick with.  Right now I'm leaning to "HULU Live" rather than "Sling TV".  HULU is about $10 more but seems possibly more user friendly in regards to when it comes time to cancel the service.

Anyhow, anybody got any feedback on choosing between HULU Live and Sling TV??

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
Besides HULU Live and Sling TV you should also check out Playstation Vue and YouTube TV. Make sure the channels you want are offered by each service. I don't have experience with any of these but I have a friend that evaluated and for him Playsation Vue was his choice (he isn't a sports fan). Playstation Vue worked for him well using the Nvidia Shield Android TV box.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
Vue needs 5 mbps try sling TV uses less bandwidth.
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2018, 09:58:09 PM »
Well, I went ahead with Hulu tonight and it seems to be working pretty well.  I watched a bit of the Northwestern and Texas A&M game on SEC Network.   I'll watch it over the weekend and see how it does during several different games.  Seems like I could deal with this, though it's not nearly the quality of OTA reception.  It's definitely watchable, though.   :smile:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
New to this thread, so sorry if this question has been addressed. What do cord cutters do for a dvr? That in my mind is the most important part of my very expensive Comcast subscription that just increased by 20%! The ability to pause and rewind live tv, and the ability to record 5-6 shows at once.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:10:21 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2018, 06:06:33 AM »
Ron PSVUE you can add as many channels to DVR you want and save for 28 days.  Not perfect but for $49 month you get all the sports channels no contract.

Reason I didn't suggest to Intheswamp it uses 5 mbps vs around 2-3 mbps for rest of streaming services. PSVUE is just as good PQ as Direct and Dish IMO but it does require good internet provider that won't ding you on bandwidth usage. Do the math at 5 Mbps x how many hours and you can have up to 5 devices running so adds up fast.
Randy

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2018, 06:23:09 AM »
New to this thread, so sorry if this question has been addressed. What do cord cutters do for a dvr? That in my mind is the most important part of my very expensive Comcast subscription that just increased by 20%! The ability to pause and rewind live tv, and the ability to record 5-6 shows at once.

True cord CUTTERS don't watch synchronous broadcasts, and therefore do not need to pause or record anything since they are only streaming pre-recorded shows.

Cord "switchers" drop cable/satellite for a live streaming service, usually driven by a desire to watch sports or get a la carte channel choices without paying big cable for huge bundles of junk channels.

Just clarifying the difference, since truly cutting the cord is a mindset and viewing habit change from the synchronous TV broadcasts that we all grew up with.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #221 on: August 31, 2018, 06:39:40 AM »
Reason I call it cord cutting I just started PSVUE 3 days ago for college football and will stop after the bowl games. No contract, you can cancel anytime. Just went 8 months with no TV, not even OTA available here so is about as close to cord cutting as it will get.

We even dumped siriusXM and now may pick back up with 6 month $30 offer for everything.

Directv has offered everything but the kitchen sink to come back.  $300 visa card, free sunday ticket and 1/2 off any package for 12 months but includes a 2 year contract. Never again will I do any contract to watch TV, plus won't use NFL ST. 
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »
Hmm, so maybe we should use the term "contract killers" rather than "cord cutters"...but I fear the local state and federal authorities might start prying into our personal lives a bit more than they already do.  :lol:

When I say cord cutter I'm referring to not paying out a substantial chunk of money each month for cable or satellite services.  Since last February we've used OTA and Amazon Prime almost exclusively (the granddaughters bring their Netflix account with them when they visit).  We have been Amazon Prime members since before we ever streamed so it was more or less a "gimme". 

But, no, I guess I'm not truly a cord cutter.  To be a true cord cutter I guess I would have to live in a house with no electricity or other modern convenience.  Things that plug into an a/c receptacle have cords and there's a big "cord" bringing that a/c to the house.  Public water?...that's a type of "cord", too.  Going off-grid is basically what a cord cutter would have to do...and refrain from sneaking in a satellite receiver or a remote OTA antenna. 

But, that is getting too deep into semantics.  My thought is that when someone talks about cord cutting in regards to their television content it is about doing away with expensive $$$ payments to satellite and cable companies each month.  There is indeed a change in viewing habits involved...we've found we watch less television now...seems a lot of shows on satellite that we watched were "just because they were there".  We find that we watch Amazon Prime very little and that most content that we watch is OTA.  I'm just trying to fill in the ESPN slots for the college games in looking for a "live" streaming provider...then, after Alabama wins the College Football Playoff National Championship I'll cancel the streaming service.  \:D/

ValentineWeather's situation seems about as close to cord-cutting as most people will ever get.

Tomato, tomahto, 'mater....  :grin:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Greg_M

« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2019, 06:32:27 PM »
I dropped DirecTv when we moved and got a Roku 3.
It's a different style of viewing.
No recorder because you don't need one.

The only thing I pay for now is One American News Network for $4.95 per mo.

We have 10 meg internet out here in the wilds of New Mexico and only had 1 meg in WA.
I'd rather spend the money on fast internet than DirecTv

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »
I dropped DirecTv and AT&T U-verse internet (768 Kbps download).  There are only a few OTA stations that I can receive even with a high gain outside antenna.  I went with the local cable company for cable TV and internet.  I'm still saving $70 per month.  See below why I don't mind paying them for internet:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Ray

anything